Standing Desks at Home
One of the benefits of working at home is that you can create a work space that really works for you – with a style that fits you best, and an ergonomic standing desk. After all, a comfortable office enhances your mood, and even increases productivity. Even if you’ve used a standing desk before, designing a truly amazing standing desk home office layout will give you an opportunity to put your own stamp on it.
Benefits of Standing Desks in a Home Office
Most of the benefits of standing desks accrue from the fact that they enable you to mix up an otherwise sedentary job by standing – on and off – throughout the day. Increasing your standing time has several positive impacts:
- Cardiovascular health: The fact that sedentary behavior increases the chance of mortality from cardiovascular disease has been shown by more than one study. Anyone concerned with their heart health could benefit from a standing desk to help keep them moving throughout the day.
- Caloric burn: If you’re aiming to burn more calories while working, stand more. Studies show that standing activates large muscle groups and therefore burns slightly more calories than sitting. To add even more activity into your day, try some standing desk exercises to keep you moving while you work.
- Muscle pain: For people who experience muscle pain and chronic lower back pain, the ability change positions during the day is key to reducing overall pain, according to a randomized trial. A height adjustable standing desk allows increased mobility, and switching positions helps maintain a focus on improved posture.
- Energy levels: One study showed that using a standing desk provides a natural energy boost, noting a correlation between increased standing/moving and office productivity. One of the benefits of standing desks is to help return your focus to the task at hand when you get distracted.
Standing Desk Home Office Layout
Setting up the most functional, productive, comfortable office will be unique for everyone, depending on the type of work you do, how much space you have, and your own preferences. The main factors to consider when setting up your standing desk home office layout are style, size and location of your office, your need for flexibility, and available light.
- Style: Whether you’re looking for an industrial look, European, boho, modern, or transitional style, the minimalist design of a standing desk functions well in the overall layout of a home office. The surfaces and colors you choose – whether clean white or dramatic black or natural wood tone – provide a backdrop for accessories that personalize your home office space.
- Size and location of office: Is your home office in a dedicated room or a small nook in the corner? The Standing Desk offers a wide variety of desk sizes to suit different home office spaces.
- If you have room to spread out, the Nimbus pneumatic desk, with its spacious 60” wide surface, may be the desk for you.
- For smaller spaces, the single-column Andern pneumatic desk with a 40” wide surface may give you the best fit.
- If you have a small area that functions as both office and living space, the height adjustable Mobel serves double duty as an occasional table and a laptop desk.
- Need for flexibility: A pneumatic desk doesn’t rely on electricity to use, which gives you more flexibility over where you can place your desk. If you add casters, you can even move it around the room as light changes throughout the day. If you prefer an electric desk, and you don’t plan to move it around the room, The Standing Desk offers power ports and cable management to simplify your office and declutter your space.
- Available light: One of the great advantages of the home office is the ability to escape the florescent glare of the traditional office and dial in your lighting so it works best for you. After all, good office lighting is as important to overall ergonomics as a desk or a chair. Setting up a desk in a room with windows can maximize your energy level with natural light. And task lighting like the Rana adjustable LED lights will let you direct light right where you need it – day or night, rain or shine.
Ergonomic Home Office Chairs
Even with a height adjustable standing desk, you’ll want to find a comfortable, ergonomic home office chair to complement your space and keep you in alignment all day long, whether you’re standing or sitting.
A great home office chair can help with proper sitting posture by allowing you to align your shoulders, spine, and hips. Both lumbar adjustment and height adjustment enhance the comfort of your desk so you can maintain comfortable, natural posture and reduce neck and back pain.
Types of Office Chairs
The Standing Desk offers ergonomic desk chairs for standing desk users to use while seated. Types of standing desk chairs include:
- A backless stool like the Sthul, which helps keep you fit by requiring you to engage your core muscles. This height adjustable model is available in black or white, and has a base that’s designed to encourage movement while standing.
- Task chairs for lumbar support include sitting task chairs like the Sella, and sit/stand task chairs like the Alta Sella.
Upgrade Your Home Office Today
Whether you’ve been dealing with a “temporary” home office for a long time, or you’re just starting your work from home job, it’s never too late to create the type of standing desk home office layout you envision. Find the best home office standing desk for your space at The Standing Desk.