Workout at Work with Standing Desks
Working out at work can be great for your physical and mental health, as well as overall productivity. If you’ve ever found yourself wishing you could get in a bit of a workout at the office, a standing desk is the ideal way to move your body while getting work done at the same time.
Exercises to Do at Your Desk
A standing desk makes it possible to do any number of exercises when the mood strikes you throughout the day. The beauty of these exercises is that they are all simple and relatively inconspicuous, so they shouldn’t distract coworkers in the area. Although most of these desk exercises are best done while standing at your desk, some can be accomplished when the desk is lowered and you’re seated. If you rotate through the entire series, you’ll have a chance tone most of your major muscle groups.
- Standing calf raises: Roll up onto your toes while tightening your calf muscles. Hold for a few seconds and repeat.
- Standing leg extensions: With your core engaged, lift one leg backwards and out, squeezing glute area. Repeat at least 15 times.
- Standing hamstring curls: Holding on to the desk, lift one foot off the ground and, keeping your thighs parallel to each other, bend your knee and touch your heel on your backside. Repeat at least 15 times.
- Standing desk pushups: Place your hands on desk (make sure it is stable) and complete a pushup. Repeat as many times as you are able.
- Standing balance work with balance board: Use a balance board throughout the day or entirety of the time using a standing desk to strengthen leg and back muscles.
- Seated core swivel: Gently hold onto the edge of the desk with your feet off the floor. Move your upper body in a swivel from side to side, controlling the movement with your abs. Repeat at least 15 times.
- Seated gluteal squeeze: Squeeze and hold your glute area. Repeat at least 15 times.
- Seated leg extensions: Lift one leg up and out, focusing on the thigh area. Repeat at least 15 times.
Benefits of Working Out at Work
If you have a standing desk, chances are you are already motivated to bring more movement to your work day. Light exercise while working is one way to incorporate movement, with benefits that go far beyond the 5 o’clock whistle. Incorporating office desk exercise has all kinds of benefits:
- Increased energy levels: Moving throughout the day leads to a natural energy boost that is even more sustainable than caffeine.
- Increased focus: Moving throughout the day fights off fatigue and dials in focus.
- Increased productivity: Increased energy and focus leads to a more productive day.
- Improved heart health: Standing and regularly moving benefits heart health, as the heart works a little harder to pump blood upward.
More Health Benefits of Standing Desks
- Improved posture: Standing allows you to maintain better posture, mitigating muscle aches and strains that can distract you from getting into a productive workflow.
- Lowered stress levels: Muscle tension can lead to headaches and insomnia, which can cause or exacerbate stress. Using a standing desk to alleviate being slumped in a chair for hours improves not only your actual work performance and experience but also your life outside of the workplace.
- Healthier weight: The act of standing burns more calories than sitting. Standing also gives you more energy, making you more likely to end your workday by crushing a workout, rather than crashing onto the couch as a result of feeling sleepy and sluggish.
The Best Standing Desks for Your Team
The Standing Desk offers both pneumatic and electric desks, each coming in a range of sizes and colors. Our standing desks are among the fastest on the market, and they’re BIFMA x5.5 certified so you can be assured they’ll stand up to daily office exercise.
Quick, quiet pneumatic desks use air-powered cylinders to raise and lower the desk surface without the need for electricity. Add a set of casters, and a pneumatic desk allows maximum mobility, with no cord to keep you tethered to an outlet. Just be sure to lock the casters when you’re exercising.
- The Klöud: The Klöud is the largest, most heavy-duty option in pneumatic standing desks. The base is available in three colors. There are two surface sizes (60” and 48” width) available in four different colors. Holds up to 150 lbs, weight adjustable.
- The Ändern Pneumatic: The Ändern has the same choices for color customization as the Klöud – three color options for the base, and four color options for the surface. The Ändern is a slightly smaller desk (48” and 40” width surfaces available), which is ideal for laptops or smaller monitors.
- The Lüften: The Lüften also has three base colors and four surface colors. At 60” width, the surface size is good for larger monitors.
- The Möbel Desk: The smallest of the desks, the Möbel holds up to 35 lbs. Ideal for smaller spaces, the 17-lb Möbel is simple to move from place to place, and easily converts from a side table to a laptop desk. Given its small size, you’ll need to find a different surface to lean on for exercises like standing desk pushups.
Electric desks are strong, durable desks that use electric power to raise and lower the desk surface. The electric power boost makes electric desks some of the most robust sit-stand desks available, and the brushless motor means they’re easy on the ears as well.
- The Oben: The Oben is the largest, most heavy-duty option in electric standing desks. The base is available in three colors options. There are two surface sizes (60” and 48” width) available in four different colors. With two sturdy steel legs, this model holds up to 250 lbs.
- The Ändern Electric: The Ändern Electric has the same choices for color customization as the Oben – three color options for the base, and four color options for the surface. The Ändern is a slightly smaller desk (48” and 40” width surfaces available), which is ideal for laptops or smaller monitors. Although its single steel column frame gives a visually light appeal, this sturdy desk holds up to 150 lbs.
Move More at Work with Standing Desks
Building an exercise habit at work can be just as easy as building a standing habit at work. To reap the most benefits, choose a quick, sturdy desk from The Standing Desk to kickstart your office exercise routine.